Monday 24 February 2014

The End of the Pathway Road...


Helloooo everyone,

I've come to the end of my pathway stage in my Foundation Year and finally ticked all the checklist boxes to start my final piece. As the title says 'The End of the Pathway Road' this is pretty much self explanatory.
After completing all my ideas, research, drawings and annotations I finally got to produce the final piece of work that sums up this entire project!

To finish off everything that I have looked at so far, I started to look at the art movement Pointillism which is a technique of painting in which small, distinct dots of pure color are applied in patterns to form an image. Divisionism  is concerned with color theory, whereas Pointillism is more focused on the specific style of brushwork used to apply the paint. As notably seen in the works of Seurat, Signac, and Cross.
The technique relies on the ability of the eye and mind of the viewer to blend the color spots into a fuller range of tones.

I had also looked at reflections and how artists in the Impressionism period started to express them through materials and techniques. The term " Venus Effect" for a common phenomenon in picture perception. It occurs when a picture shows an actor and a mirror that are not placed along the observers line of sight.
When artists depict a mirror in a painting, it necessarily lacks the most obvious property of a mirror; as we move around of the painting the mirror, the reflections we see in it do not change. And yet representations of mirrors and other reflecting surfaces can be quite convincing in paintings.

SOOO...In order to complete my final piece with the concluding research I have at hand I decided to look into Seurat and Monet's work to compare both opposing artists and techniques.
An example of Monet Reflections.

Example of Seurat and Pointillism.

In most of Claude Monet's work he produces reflective setting scenes; examples include; the water lilies series of how Monet depicts the flower garden at Giverny.

He was the most  consistent and prolific practitioner of the French Impressionistic's Movement's philosophy of expressing one's perception before nature, especially as applied to 'Plein-air landscape painting'.







Seurat was a French post- impressionistic painter and one of the most famous icons of the 19th Century.
He moved away from the apparent spontaneity and rapidity of Impressionism and developed a structured more monumental art to depict modern urban life.







The developed final piece...

"Seasonal Time" I named it considering the timeline of aligned trees in seasonal order. And to depict the time I used the reflections in the foreground to oppose the bright sky.
I had merely got this idea from Monet's ambition of documenting the French countryside which led him to adopt a method of painting the same scene many times in order to capture the changing of light and the passing of seasons.

I feel that in my final major project I am going to focus on my strengths after all and to extend my use of materials and techniques even further.

No comments:

Post a Comment