Sunday 8 June 2014

Concluding works for Final Major Project

Melancholy sunrise- Acrylic on wood
Sunrise Canopy- Acrylic and pastel on wood

Rays of Time I- Acrylic on wood

Rays of Time II- Acrylic on wood

Hellooo!

Finally I can say I'm finished!! So happy that i met my targets and got these two above finished on time!
A little bit about these two pieces:

Rays of Time I and II both came as a series of ideas that I was going to produce for my final pieces however, after I had done two I found them very time consuming as it took 3-4 to prime the boards and sand them down and then 2-3 days to actually start and finish them.

The entire ideas I had drawn up for this final piece were supposed to be a series to show different techniques and view points that I wanted to express fully throughout my research and that of my pathway project piece "Seasonal Time". The board is split up into a grid to interpret different times of the day and how each detail of the foreground, sky, mountain scale and the tree will change due to time, and also my main focus of how the landscape will change over time. 

The name given "Rays of Time" was chosen as the painting shows separate compositions and techniques used to interpret the sky, foreground of the seasons. And also associate itself with the title of the project "Presence and Absence"

The materials i had used were acrylic as it was fast drying. This was important because I wanted to create the built up look. Like Ori Gersht, he used layers upon layer in this paintings with themes of life, death, violence and beauty. Using his work as an inspiration I used his themes to reflect my own work in a sense of destruction to the landscape which therefore resulted in a change and a consequence. 

As you can see I tried to create a contrasting duo piece in which one had more substance than the other. Rays of Time I simply explains the transition of windows to show the viewer a different glimpse of what the tree, sky, mountain and foreground would have looked like a different times of the year. Though this was only my first impression on how to express what it really is, my second expression of the first painting was to include that of destruction to the forests and the melancholy doom that it has over the landscape.

Rays of Time II explains the statement above in greater detail as you can see in each vertical window there is a different viewpoint on how the scene would look in a whole different manner in terms of time and the contrasts of light into dark. I wanted to make these two piece as surreal as possible though if you have been following my blog since I created it you can see that my work have never really grasped the naturalism side of art there is always a barrier between impressionism, pointillism, abstraction and expression.

The first two pieces up above are just experiments on using a palette knife when painting and other techniques such as paint on a dry brush and wet on wet.

Photos taken: 05/06/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment