Sunday 8 December 2013

May the force be with you..


Hi!

The idea surrounding the quote "May the force be with you" is the kind of saying
"The force" is a magical power that gives people strength. This phrase is kind of a way of saying "good luck".
I thought that this title would be appropriate and funny due to a recent project: Clay Sculpting, I knew that I wasn't going to be as good in this Sculpture project as I was in that one.
 
 
SO... this post is going to include all my ideas, inspirations and processes of two non permanent sculptures I took to decide on making my final sculpture of what it is today.
 
My sculpture however had to revolve around these two words that I had been given "Fractal and Geometric". And with doing this came a lot of ideas and research that surrounded the words such as structure, strength, purpose and manageability. One idea was to look at fractures in the body; as a reference to my sculpture of being a strong foundation but to have a subtleness of "Fragile" and "Safe" to it.
 
I looked at artists like Fiona Henderson, Raymond Leowy, Rebecca Horn and Hugo Heredia Barrera. All these artists are entirely different in their own way of working, for instance I looked at Raymond for his industrial creation of the first train; in achieving fame for the magnitude of his design efforts across a variety of industries it was his interests that he found inspiration such as trains, cars and aeroplanes. However, I'd found most inspiration from Hugo Barrera more forthcoming as encountering his work for the first time, I was struck by a profound sense of contradiction: What should be heavy seems weightless. What should be solid seems liquid. Hugo's pieces combine wire, glass, and metal in impossible industrial configurations. His concepts ranges from practical tables to huge abstract gallery installations.

 
 
To sum it all up this statement will help you understand:
 
 
Personnel need to understand brittle fracture. This type of fracture occurs under specific conditions without warning and can cause major damage to industrial plant materials.
So basically the link o the industry and my chosen words "fractural" would be that the word could act as a consequence nonetheless without the support and maintenance of personnel behind the industrial success.
Meaning that without the someone or something there to support the weakness of the sculpture i.e. weight, position of figures, or adhesives of some kind; then it could result in failure. And with evidence that the "Geometry" side is conceited by mathematics, this will show a relative position of strength within the structure I am going to make.
Why include Industrial Revolution in my research?
I have included it onto my research because with the materials I am using (bolts, nuts and metal pieces) I thought that the connection would be appropriate in ways that even the upmost grand architectural building itself starts off with something small and develops consequences and faults along the way.
The words I have been given have been a challenge to recite on what my ideas would be, however the opposition between the opposing words have begun to resolve in understanding when I'd researched into using the Industrial Revolution as a priority idea in making this sculpture.
 
 1st sculpture was based on my first idea of building a foundation before you have the skills and knowledge to improve it further. I actually exaggerated the idea of having loose parts scattered around to represent that anything can fail but you would just have to come up with other solutions to improve.
2nd sculpture based on ideas such as the Industrial Revolution and the processes of what it takes to build a position of architecture or a foundation to start it off. In my other ideas I more or less thought that this idea could start a sense of flow in my project from moving to one topic of research to another and coming up with controversies to see whether I could link it in or not.
The final permanent sculpture was created and designed to conclude all references of research made into coming up with one last idea for a permanent sculpture. The idea was that anything can be made as long as you have the materials, equipment and research to back it up and given this idea I started to think of strong qualities to have; like the wire unlike my first idea was multiple layers of thread... 
So as I started researching more and more into mechanism artists that created sculptures that had a purpose such as Rebecca Horn. So I'd thought that I'd give this idea a go and see how it turned out. Like Rebecca Horn used enlarged gloves with tips of pencils and ink pens on the ends I had this really good idea to link creation of materials to my sculpture. So now it ended up to look like a hand mechanism that controls the movement and purpose of the pencils at the ends due to the amount of weight balanced on the hand as well on the pencils.
 
Given all the preparation to make this thing I reckon it has turned out very well! As I had wanted it to speak a sense of 'Fractured Figures' as Raymond Leowy described a way to create a structure that was solid in shape but was opposed to space and scale is a distinguished way. There is also a hint of symbolism in the final one: In this case the hand.....acts as the mechanism.
There is references to the Celtic land of symbolism that the hand has a meaning in connection to Power, Ruler-ship and Authority.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment